Domestic plumbing emergencies can be very disruptive and inconvenient to your daily life, but they can also cause significant problems to your home as well as structural damage. But what are the most common domestic plumbing emergencies? And when should you call an emergency plumbing team?
So what are the most common domestic plumbing emergencies?
There are a number of different situations that lead to homeowners calling a plumber, with the most common emergencies being:
- Burst pipes- A burst pipe is one of the most common plumbing emergencies and it can be a plumbing nightmare. Any burst pipe, inside or out, will require immediate attention, but a burst pipe inside can cause significant damage to your home that can be very expensive to repair. As such, you should immediately stop the water supply to your home, before calling a professional and experienced team to assess the pipe and make repairs. This emergency often occurs during the colder winter months, when water inside the pipes freezes and expands, causing damage to the pipe itself. This will take advantage of any existing corrosion or damage.
- Blocked drains- Blocked drains can result from a buildup of grease, hair, or foreign objects. This plumbing issue can lead to slow drainage or even sewage backups. The latter is one of the most common emergency plumbing problems, and will need attention from a qualified, professional team. While DIY solutions like using a plunger or a drain snake can be effective for minor blockages, if you are experiencing water backup and sewage backups, professional plumbing services will be necessary.
- Faulty boiler- A malfunctioning boiler or a full boiler breakdown is another of the most common plumbing emergencies. If your boiler suddenly will not provide heating or hot water, this can cause notable discomfort, especially during colder seasons. For households with elderly people and children, it’s essential that this is treated as an emergency and resolved as soon as possible. To prevent a boiler breakdown, it can be a good idea to look out for common issues that can include strange noises, cold spots, or leaks. Regular maintenance is also crucial to prevent these problems.
- Overflowing toilet- an overflowing toilet is a messy and unsanitary emergency. If you notice water rising rapidly, turn off the water supply to the toilet immediately, and contact a professional plumbing team. This is a plumbing emergency that will need to be resolved promptly.
- Gas leaks- While not exclusively a plumbing issue, gas leaks are emergencies that demand immediate attention. If you detect a gas odour, evacuate the premises, avoid using electrical devices, and contact the gas emergency hotline. Professional assistance is essential to locate and repair the gas leak safely.
For your emergency plumbing problems, you will need to hire a professional team, like us here at KAM Ltd. Why not get in touch today to find out more?